Since, some of us will start incorporate more long runs into our schedules for fall half marathons/marathons, I thought I would revisit the issue of fuel for your long runs. I tend to start taking in nutrition when I run 10 miles or more.
Keep in mind that each person is different, and through experimentation, you will find what works best for you. As for the different types of fuel for the long run, here are some of the most popular (in no particular order):
- GU (pronounced like goo—and that’s what it looks like!)—you have undoubtedly seen those little foil packets with GU on them at races. GU comes in a myriad of flavors from mint chocolate to vanilla bean. There is even an espresso flavor that contains caffeine! Although it took me quite a while to try my first GU, I actually like it and find it easy to eat on the run. The only trick is not getting your fingers sticky or accidentally squirting GU on your iPhone speaker (yes, I did that!).
- Sport Beans- These are jelly beans that have electrolytes added into them. They are made by Jelly Belly and are super yummy! I have used them with much success. The only issue I have with Sport Beans is that sometimes it’s a little hard to chew them when you are running. I do love how they taste just like a regular jelly bean!
- Clif Shot Bloks—Clif makes Shot Bloks which are a kind of gummy block of nutrition. I have yet to try them, but I know many people that swear by them. They seem to be easy to pop in your mouth and soft enough to chew and easily swallow.
- Gummy bears, pretzels, and other snack foods—You don’t need to purchase specific “running” or “sport” snacks. In fact, you can probably raid your cabinets for something that will work just as well (gummies, raisins, bananas).
- Honey Stingers—Honey stingers are made with real honey and come in waffles, gels, protein bars, energy bars, and chews. I have tried the waffles before, and I think they taste great! If you love honey, definitely give them a try!
IF YOU FOUND THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL, SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY TRAINING TIPS NEWSLETTER FOR INFORMATION ON TRAINING, NUTRITION, GEAR, AND DISCOUNTS!